Monday 14 March 2011

Battle: Los Angeles


War Of The Worlds meets Independence Day in this alien invasion movie.

From the very beginning we are thrust into the action as we join Sgt. Nantz (Aaron Eckhart) and his platoon in their attempt to rescue civilians from an abandoned police station while fighting off the enemy hordes.

The whole film feels a bit like the Saving Private Ryan opening scene but it strangely becomes boring as the endless shoot-outs with the mechanical aliens and their “ray guns” gets dull after 30 or 40 minutes. At least we then get a slice of human drama with past and present tragedies explored providing moments of emotion amongst the chaos.

Plenty of sequel potential but if it happens I won’t be rushing out to see it.

In a nutshell it’s better than Skyline but not a patch on Independence Day.
Ric's Rating: 60%

9 comments:

  1. We had considered seeing this movie over the weekend but the lineups were really long, so we passed on it and saw "Unknown" instead (it was just okay). I guess a rating of 60% actually isn't too bad - I don't usually have super high expectations for these types of movies, so maybe we'll try and catch it next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer,

    Yeah, it isn't too bad but it's explosions over story. I'll likely wait for the dvd of Unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've give it a little bit higher. I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Nothing earth-shattering, but it was enjoyable! My review goes up Wednesday - and I sat through part of the SyFy's Battle for Los Angeles craptastic movie so I could compare the two!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to the comparison Alex !

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's watchable Richy just not great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son currently in Marine Infantry training saw this and loved it. He said, "Mom, I have used all the weapons they show in this film." But he said I wouldn't like it. Doesn't matter, I'll go see it anyway so I can find out what weapons he got to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopefully not the Ray Guns Karen !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Think I'll give this one a miss. Thanks for the tip, Ricky. Shame though, I usually like films with plenty guns. Ah, well. Cheers, mate.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I value all comments and fully intend to reply.